The History of the UTA Main Library is closely related to the history
of the University. In 1952, when Bydgoszczs first institute of
higher education, a Night School of Engineering, was established,
the Main library started its activity as University Library.
In the middle fifties The University was changed into the High
Engineering School. In 1974, as a result of merging the High Engineering
School and Poznans Institute of Agriculture, the J.J. niadeccy University of Technology
and Agriculture with its Main Library was created.
Night School of Engineering (1951-1963)
High Engineering School first building
The NSE Library started its activity on 16th January 1952.
For its needs one room was allocated. Apart from purchasing,
The Library acquired its stack thanks to private persons and institutions
. In 1952 the library owned 2.193 volumes. From 1952 to 1959 the Library
added over 5000 volumes. The literature covered range of subjects studied at that time.
High Engineering School (1964-1973)
At the end of sixties Night School of Engineering was changed into High Engineering School.
At that time the library was also reorganized to fulfill the tasks of Institution providing
education in various systems at technical departments. More librarians were hired and
- systematically - library collection increased.
Beginning in middle sixties the library started purchasing special collections,
mainly Standards and Patents. In 1968 Special Collections Department and, one year later, Special Collections Reading Room were created.
Each year the Library was visited by more users. In 1970 new structure of the library was created with separated deparments located in new rooms. The number of employees increased to 15.
The Main Library included the following departments: Acquisition, Subject Cataloguing, Circulation,
Special Collections and Reference and Information Department.
University of Technology and Agriculture (1974 - )
Location of UTA Vice-Chancellor's Office
Main Library of the J.J. niadeccy University of Technology and Agriculture
started its activity on 15 February 1975. New organization structure was created,
according to UTA needs and tasks. All the new titles were very carefully
verified in order to fulfill the students' and staff's needs. At that time exchange
of publications with other Universities was also initialized. Since 1975 the Library
has also started its information activity. As mentioned, until 1975, the University
was mainly located in the city centre, but in 1977 some departments, including the Library
were moved to the suburb of Fordon where new University center was built. At that time, the Library started
collecting doctoral dissertations written in UTA. In 1980 UTA Library completed its collection of Branch Standards becoming
the center offering access to all the Polish and Branch Standards. Moreover systematically added patent
descriptions became the basis to create well known and valued in Poland patent information centre.
UTA building complex in Fordon - location of the Main Library
New building prepared in 1990 in Fordon for the Faculty of Agliculture improved the situation and functioning of the Library,
which received specially prepared new rooms where Periodicals and Special Collections Department with its Reading Room
have been located.
In early nineties most of the library activities were computerized. First library computer system (SOB) was
in 1995 replaced with modern and friendly TINLIB, officially introduced to the users in the
begining of new academic year in 1998.
in early nineties, the UTA Library started its cooperation with other University centres and institutions
on the field of creating the following databases: SYMPO, SIGŻ, AGRIS, SIBROL i SYNABA.
As a result of interest and openess the library was also invited to participate in three Tempus programmes.
Among other improvements made by the UTA Library for its users is introducing the possibility of ordering books
through our library computer system.
Future of the Library
As in every Institution of this kind our plans are very ambitious and we still think about improvements
that can be made to help our users to find the materials and information they look for as fast as possible in
easy and friendly way. What we dream of is our own separated building and open access to books.